Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

Bullseye Quilt, Part II

I am sorry I am late in posting the instructions to the second part of the sew-a-long for the Bullseye quilt.  It took me longer than I expected to catch up after returning from my Georgia retreat.

The next step involves cutting more circles and sewing them on.
Remember there is a total of 3 circles sewn onto a background.  There are no restrictions on colors. You just want to be sure you have SOME contrast.  Your background can even be dark, if you want! You also want them to be varied! Definitely not all the same colors, value or prints.

Here is a picture of my second circle after having been sewn on. It's light.



Remember I like to cut out the extra fabric from the back!  Cut close to your stitching line.


Next comes the third fabric. I use the smallest circle (3-1/2") and place it on the top of the fabric to make sure I have enough fabric for the size of the circle.



I fold both the paper circle and the fabric into fourths. I lay the paper on top of the folded fabric, mark the line for the edge and cut away. I'm sorry it's turned around. I can't figure out how to turn it the right way. But you get the idea anyway.


Next you sew the blue circle on top of the light fabric. Sew approx. 1/4" from the edge although it doesn't have to be exact.


Cut around the back to get rid of the extra fabric. I recommend trimming the block down to 9".  Then you can cut the block into quarters. I lined up my ruler at 4-1/2" right in the middle so you will have 4 parts.


I made 48 blocks for my quilt. I set it 6x8.  The blocks finish at 8" so it's a nice lap sized quilt. Obviously, if you want it larger, you can make more blocks!  Next time I will show you a couple of different ways to sew the quarters back together -- you can completely change the way it looks.
Check back in two weeks, Feb. 21st!!!

Have a great weekend. Stay safe wherever you are!




4 comments:

  1. You almost make me want to join in, but I am still being strong!! : )
    Did you have a wonderful time at your retreat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 9 sewn and a bunch others ready to go - I'm trying to squeeze this in between some other priorities. It looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I found all my fabrics, all the circles that are already cut and I have them organized. I need to have a cutting day to get the backgrounds cut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still working on Bonnie's mystery and will not start this until I finish that one......too many things going on and Lily is coming next week :0)

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete